March Amateur Boxing Club proudly remembers its founder members as they look to the future
MARCH Amateur Boxing Club took a trip down memory lane on Saturday as they continue their efforts to produce the boxing stars of the future.
Family of the founder members, Ted and Mary Edgar, presented the club with a framed photo of the couple and discussed how March ABC has grown since the Edgars formed it in 1949.
Their daughters, Sonia Lancaster and Shirley Jones, and great-grandson, Jordan Lancaster, spoke about their memories of being involved with the club before handing over the picture which now hangs proudly on the walls of the club’s impressive home in Unit Seven, Century Way.
Head coach, Bernie Wing, said: “It was a lovely gesture by the family to give the club the photo.
“Although we’re always looking to bring in a new breed of boxers it’s important that we never forget our past. Ted and Mary put in a lot of hard work to get this club up and running and without them we probably wouldn’t be here today.
You may also want to watch:
“We owe them so much and it was nice to talk with their family about the past and where the club is going in the future.”
For anyone looking to get involved in boxing the club holds training sessions on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 6.30pm.
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 3 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 4 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 5 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 6 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 7 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 8 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 9 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 Cannabis factory uncovered in Fen village
Contact Bernie Wing on 01354 654648 for further details.