March Amateur Boxing Club proudly remembers its founder members as they look to the future
MARCH Amateur Boxing Club took a trip down memory lane on Saturday as they continue their efforts to produce the boxing stars of the future.
Family of the founder members, Ted and Mary Edgar, presented the club with a framed photo of the couple and discussed how March ABC has grown since the Edgars formed it in 1949.
Their daughters, Sonia Lancaster and Shirley Jones, and great-grandson, Jordan Lancaster, spoke about their memories of being involved with the club before handing over the picture which now hangs proudly on the walls of the club’s impressive home in Unit Seven, Century Way.
Head coach, Bernie Wing, said: “It was a lovely gesture by the family to give the club the photo.
“Although we’re always looking to bring in a new breed of boxers it’s important that we never forget our past. Ted and Mary put in a lot of hard work to get this club up and running and without them we probably wouldn’t be here today.
“We owe them so much and it was nice to talk with their family about the past and where the club is going in the future.”
For anyone looking to get involved in boxing the club holds training sessions on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 6.30pm.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Dental practice plan move to industrial park
- 9 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
Contact Bernie Wing on 01354 654648 for further details.