March and Manea Fenland’s winners at Anglia in Bloom as Wisbech loses title
MARCH and Manea were the big winners in Fenland at this year’s Anglia in Bloom.
March won the award for the most improved entry, while Manea Lakes won the award for best Conservation Project.
There was no repeat success, however, for Wisbech which lost its title as Best Large Town (12,001-35,000 residents) to Huntingdon. Huntingdon went on to win the best overall entry and winner of the Anglia In Bloom trophy.
Wisbech, which had won the Best Large Town category in 2008 and 2009, maintained its gold award.
March won a silver award in the same category, after it won bronze last year.
You may also want to watch:
Chatteris won silver gilt in the Town (6,001-12,000 residents) category, down from last year’s gold award, and Parson Drove won silver in the Large Village (1,001-2,500 residents) section in its second venture into the competition. It won bronze last year.
The judges said of March: “The main shopping street is very attractive with many hanging baskets, tubs and barrier baskets.” They also commended the Friends of March Railway Station for their “hard work and enthusiasm”.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 7 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 8 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
The March Street Pride volunteers group played a leading role in the work. Jeanette Milner, Fenland District Council’s Street Pride coordinator, said: “This is an incredible achievement, as it is only the second year that March has entered Anglia in Bloom.”
She thanked the many other local businesses and groups who had worked alongside Street Pride. They include Delfland and FACET, which provided plants; Boon and Potter; Neale-Wade Community College; March Town Council; Robert Hale; March Chamber of Commerce; Tom Hyde & Son; Cannon Kirk Homes; March Lions and Charles David Photography.
As well as Manea Lakes, Fenland had several projects shortlisted for awards. They included:
• Waterlees, Wisbech – Urban Regeneration/Community
• Parson Drove – Environmental Quality Award
• Lapwing Polytunnels, Chatteris – Grow Your Own Award
• Rose Lodge Care Home, Wisbech – Best Industrial/Commercial Area
• St Peter’s Junior School, Wisbech – Best Young Persons Project (Under 12 Years)