March church to celebrate centenary with special exhibition
The Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel and St Peter, in March, is shortly to celebrate its centenary.
It is 100 years since a church was opened in 1911 and a whole weekend of activities is planned. The weekend starts on Friday May 20 with a special Mass and the opening of an exhibition of photographs and ephemera of the last 100 years.
There are about 200 items and many will have not been seen before in March. Parishioners and invited guests will be at this evening event and they will hopefully enjoy a glass of wine and a buffet after the service.
On Saturday May 21 the Church Hall will be open all day for everybody to see the exhibition and, finally, after Sunday Mass there will be a ‘pate and plonk’ event to wind up the weekend.
Amongst the many photographs that have been collected there are a few that remain unidentified and help is needed from the townsfolk of March with this.
You may also want to watch:
In particular we have a photograph who we think is Father Lydiate, parish priest during the Second World War but we are not certain that it is him.
If anybody can identify the picture would they please contact Mr Kevin Rodgers on 01945 464871 or just come along to the exhibition on the Saturday.
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 4 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 7 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 8 Alleged paedophile released on bail
- 9 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 10 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'