March couple that lost jobs when Moy Park closed open fruit and veg shop
- Credit: Archant
A FENLAND couple made redundant by Moy Park have opened a fruit and vegetable shop.
Gary Tickner, 51, worked at the food processing factory in Wisbech for 21 years and met his partner Sandie Stanford, 51, there in 2004.
But they found themselves out of work when Moy Park relocated its ready to eat meals business to its Grantham site earlier this year, a move which caused more than 300 job losses in Wisbech.
The pair set up S & G Veg and Brew in Dartford Road, March, which will sell fruit, vegetables and home brews, with an emphasis on locally sourced produce.
Mr Tickner said: “It was a shock to be made redundant after such lengthy service. My partner and I were left out of work and it was then that we decided to become self employed and set up the business.
You may also want to watch:
“We will promote locally sourced produce, with shelves selling produce from Fenland’s allotment holders.
“I’m also an experienced home brewer so I’ve installed some home brewing equipment in the shop.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
Mr Tickner says getting the shop up and running has been challenging but he is excited about the potential of the business.
He said: “It’s been a lot of hard work. It has taken us a couple of months to put the shop together but it’s very exciting.
“We hope to be self sufficient and if things go well we intend to start offering a home delivery service in a few months. We are also working on a website.”
The shop is open on Mondays to Fridays from 8.30am-6pm and on Saturdays from 8am-4pm.