Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- Credit: Joe Giddens/PA Wire/PA Images
Coronavirus test centre staff and council officers are receiving regular abuse from motorists being asked to move their parked cars.
The once-a-week mobile centre at City Road lorry and car park in March could be lost after organisers are becoming increasingly fed up with altercations.
“Fenland District Council officers block the spaces with cones before the centre opens every Tuesday,” said deputy council leader councillor Jan French.
“Several times people have just moved the cones and just parked there and when they are challenged about it, they’re just giving a load of abuse.”
The test centre cancelled on Tuesday, December 22 following the abuse and now Cllr French fears March could lose its test centre for good.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “If they continue to do [abuse staff] we’re going to lose the test centre. Why should people put up with abuse?
“They [staff] are there to help people, if we don’t have a testing centre in March the nearest one is going to be Wisbech for people to travel to.
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 9 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
“To be fair, lorry drivers have been considerate so we’re not blaming them, it’s actual members of the public in private cars.”