March detective back in court facing a further charge
- Credit: SOUTH BEDS NEWS AGENCY 01582 572
A March-based detective faced an additional charge when he appeared in court today (Monday).
The latest charge faced by March-based Detective Sergeant Matt Swash, 40, sees him accused of ‘abusing the public’s trust’ and relates to an alleged sexual relationship with a victim of an assault which he was investigating.
The full charge reads: Between April 9 2012 and February 28 2013 at Cambridgeshire while acting as a public officer, namely Detective Sergeant, wilfully and without reasonable excuse or justification misconducted yourself in a way which amounted to an abuse of the public’s trust in the office holder by pursuing and engaging in a sexual relationship with a woman whilst on duty and knowing the woman to be the victim of an assault which your were investigating as the officer in the case.
Swash will appear at Stevenage Magistrates’ Court. He is currently awaiting trial after previously denying 11 counts of sexual assault and two counts of misconduct in public office.
This is scheduled for June 29 at St Albans Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
Last November a trial was halted and the new date set for St Albans Crown Court after Judge Andrew Bright QC discharged the jury of seven men and five women. He told them there had been problems for the defence with disclosure of material from the prosecution.
Swash has already pleaded guilty to one charge under the Computer Misuse Act 1990.
- 1 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 2 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept