Fenland girl, 9, makes TV debut on Sky Sports after winning competition to find young news reporters
- Credit: Supplied/Tanya Cornwell
A young budding journalist made her TV debut on Sky Sports after winning a national competition to find young news reporters.
After submitting a 60-second report, nine-year-old Gracie Cornwell from March was chosen by Sky as a "clear winner" for the Sky Sports Young Reporter role.
Gracie and her mum were sent on an all-expenses-paid trip to Birmingham Arena for the opening of the Sky Sports Netball Superleague where she got straight into work.
The March Ladybirds player got an exclusive look behind the scenes of a live broadcast, met the presenters and even interviewed England head coach Jess Thirlby on air.
Tanya, Gracie's mum, said: "It was an unbelievable experience and one that will stay with her forever. Everyone was so friendly and treated Gracie like the superstar she was.
You may also want to watch:
"Netball is the fastest growing sport and it is clear to see why such passionate and friendly people are involved."
Jess Thirlby even surprised Gracie with a netball signed by all the Vitality Roses players and she got to meet Wasps player and most capped England player, Jade Clarke.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Tanya added: "She [Gracie] watched her favourite team the Wasps warm up back stage.
"The floor manager even arranged for Gracie to do a player run out on the court in front of a full capacity audience to be interviewed by the presenters.
"Gracie also did some filming for an upcoming TV commercial promoting Sky VIP.
"Finally, Gracie walked the ball out on to the court for the headline match Wasps vs Manchester Thunder live on Sky Sports wearing her March Ladybirds kit."