March GP shares his ‘Namibian adventure’ with rotary club
A name familiar to many March residents is Chris Ley, who in 2007 left his 13-year career as GP at the Riverside Practice to pursue his interest as a professional photographer.
‘A Namibia Journey’ was the subject of the captivating talk he gave to the Rotary Club of March on 30 November.
Describing how in 2004, he took part in a trek with 40 others for ten days across a National Park in Namibia; walking 25km a day in temperatures reaching as high as 40C (120 F). The reason was to raise money for the charity, Cancer Research. A minimum of �3,500 was the target.
Sleeping in tents, the park was desert sand and scrub. Wildlife could be glimpsed in their natural habitat, from giraffe, ostrich and antelope, to Dassie, a desert rat.
On return, the total sum he raised was just short of �7,000.
“It was an amazing experience, but it takes a lot of emotional and physical commitment. At one point I drank up to 12-litres of water in a day just to keep going in the 42-degree heat.” Said Mr Ley.
Chris’ outlook on life took a dramatic turn when his mother passed away of cancer and a genuine desire for a career change was realised.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 9 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 10 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
Now, Chris is Director Photographer at Charles David Photography Ltd, a company he setup with former graphic design teacher Jerry Harper just over a year ago.
When asked if he would return to the African country in the future, he would, but only for a short holiday with his wife to visit his niece, whose married to a Namibian!