Greggs in March will NOT be stocking the new vegan sausage roll - it’s a trip to Peterborough instead
- Credit: HARRY RUTTER
Greggs in March has not been chosen as one of the stores to launch the new vegan sausage roll – with Peterborough being favoured instead.
The bakery chain, which sells 1.5m traditional pork sausage rolls a week, says the new version, which is on sale from today (January 3), has been designed with some of the original’s classic features.
The new roll still has the distinctive Greggs puff pastry - made with vegetable oil – and a “bespoke” Quorn filling.
A worker at the March Greggs, in Broad Street, said: “We had a customer call us yesterday to ask if we were going to be stocking them, but we’ve been told it’s only Peterborough so far.
“We’ll have to wait and see if they do well then hopefully they will come to March.”
You may also want to watch:
One customer added: “It’s like we’re always left last in March and forgotten when it comes to things like this.”
The launch comes after 20,000 people signed a petition by animal welfare organisation Peta last year calling on Greggs to produce a vegan version of the popular sausage roll.
- 1 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 2 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 3 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 4 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
- 5 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 8 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 9 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 10 Drug dealer racially abused police officer