March Lions are on the march to fund raise for Ugandan orphanage
MARCH Lions Club members hope to walk 2,000 miles to raise thousands of pounds for a Ugandan orphanage.
During February and March they will be stepping out as a tribute to member Mary Buckley who died last year and who was passionate about the work of the Nserester Orphanage and how it has transformed the lives of so many.
To clock up the miles, some members are simply keeping a check on their daily walking activities in and around the town, others will be doing their walking further afield.
Secretary Yvonne Eatock said: “The orphanage was a passion for Mary and we want to raise the money for the pig unit. The aim of the unit is to give them the income to be self sufficient. Money from breeding the pigs funds all the teachers’ salaries.
“There is also a widows project which gives women the skills to organise themselves into a sewing cooperative and at the same time they are taught reading, maths and business skills.”
You may also want to watch:
The Lions have been offered match funding from March based Nextsteps Community Care.
March couple Bill and Louisa Croxton of Fleetwood Close have visited the orphanage complex in Kampala and have sent out boxes of second-hand computer equipment, pencils, paper and an incubator to help rear chickens. They have also bought a pick-up truck for the orphanage.
- 1 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 2 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 3 Driver escapes injury after A14 lorry fire
- 4 Hauliers face Covid and Brexit HGV driver shortage
- 5 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 6 Police disrupt drug dealer's 'oven ready' cannabis stash
- 7 Family farmers win court case against oat milk giants
- 8 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 9 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 10 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
Mr and Mrs Croxton have been stepping out to raise funds wearing some of the clothing given to them on their visit to the orphanage.
The Lions are keen to hear from anyone who would like to sponsor members in their walking activities, give a donation or do some walking themselves.
Contact Yvonne Eatock: call 0797 0742265.