March market place building can be retained and restored by estate agency, rather than demolished
Who has declared 26 Market Place, March, unsafe? It has stood for more than 200 years.
That the building is unsafe and the chimney is falling down are very serious statements. If this was the case then I would expect Fenland District Council’s building control to have carried out inspections and sealed off the surrounding area for the health and safety of passersby.
Subsidence of 18in is a huge amount for one side of the building and surely would be visible from outside.
Restoration projects are taking place throughout the country. Heritage organisations such as the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings run restoration courses.
They encourage the restoration of heritage buildings as more cost-effective than demolition and re-building, especially under the strict building regulations.
You may also want to watch:
This is a heritage building in keeping architecturally and historically with the 17th century marketplace and with The Griffin Hotel to which it is linked.
It is sad that other buildings have been lost and therefore it is so important to restore this remaining and oldest building.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
Restoration and use of the present building would create the jobs for the estate agency and help ease the town’s housing shortage, as well as add to the charm of the Market Place.
Chairman, on behalf of The March Society