Swimmers gain 43 personal bests at memorial gala
- Credit: Archant
An annual memorial gala for a former March Marlins swimmer was held on Saturday.
The March Marlins were split into two squads, the blues and the whites, in memory of Richard Shaw who died seven years ago.
The gala offered a chance for swimmers to compete in his name and celebrate their own successes.
The Marlins gained 43 personal bests and showed off some fantastic racing.
The nine year old category showcased great swimming from Jude Staton, Layla Bullman, Abigail Watsham, Matthew Cumbridge, Isla Staton, Lexie Goodman, Luis Souto Hill and Theo Liversedge with Lexie and Luis finishing with a first position and personal best in a race each.
You may also want to watch:
First positions and personal best times were achieved by Hannah Jordan, Tom Hanley, Molly Mcgowen, Harry Rayner, Chloe Cook, Luke Ruggles and Weronika Mikolajewska.
The butterfly races, the stroke favoured by Richard, saw some great perfomances.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 10 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
Personal best times for the 50m fly races came from Harry Rayner, Hannah Jordan, Una Ansone, Weronika Mikolajewska, Katie McGowen, Rosie Beningfield, Freddie Allen and Molly McGowen.
Richard’s brother, Graham Shaw also swam the butterfly race as well as competing in the relays.
The final race was the mixed relay, aptly named the Richard Relay Butterfly.
This provided an exciting end to a full evening of competition and illustrated the Marlins speed and teamwork.
Final results: Ely 147, March Marlins White 144, St Neots 121, March Marlins Blue 120, Mildenhall 99.