March paedophile Garry Crane is jailed for 15 years for sexual abuse of three young sisters - including the rape of one - over a number of years
- Credit: Archant
A March paedophile has been jailed for 15 years for sexually assaulting three sisters - including raping one - over a number of years.
But speaking after the case this afternoon (Wednesday) the mother said she had hoped Garry Crane, 34, of Hunters Close, had been given a harsher penalty.
She said: “I wanted him to have longer. It has been really hard for them. He took their childhood away from them.”
Crane was sentenced at Cambridge Crown Court after being found guilty of nine charges following a trial at the court.
Sentencing him Judge Sean Enright said: “You have preyed on these girls. What you did involved an abuse of trust because you got yourself into positions where you could be alone with these children and the offences took place over a number of years.”
Earlier in the hearing Sally Hobson, prosecuting, referred to the mother’s victim statement, and said: “It describes what this has done not only to her daughters but also to herself. It isn’t just the victims themselves that suffer, but it has a much wider impact on those that are their parents and guardians.”
Duncan O’Donnell, defending Crane, told the court: “The offences took place over a significant period of time but they are individually impulsive - there’s no planning here. This man has taken advantage of the situation, of which he finds himself. He has not deliberately sought out children to abuse them.”
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 3 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 4 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 5 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 6 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
- 9 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
- 10 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
Crane, who was wearing a grey top and blue jeans, sat impassively as the judge read out the sentences which totalled 15 years behind bars.
The charges and sentences were as follows:
• Sexual assault of a seven-year-old child- five years imprisonment.
• Assault of a seven-year-old child by penetration - seven years imprisonment to run concurrent.
• Assault of a child aged seven to eight years by penetration - seven years concurrent.
• Attempted rape of a child aged seven to eight years - eight years concurrent.
• Assault of a child aged eight to 10 years by penetration - seven years concurrent.
• Sexual assault of a child aged eight to 10 years - five years concurrent.
• Sex assault an 11-year-old child - five years concurrent.
• Sex assault of an eight-year-old - five years concurrent.
• Rape of child aged 11 - seven years imprisonment to run consecutive.
• An NSPCC spokesman said: “A sexual predator like Crane needs more than just locking up – he needs treatment in prison to tackle the twisted fantasy he harbours about young children and to lessen any risk he poses on release.
“Child abuse ruins lives and it must be rooted out of our society. The victims in this case were incredibly brave in speaking out and we hope they get all the appropriate support needed to recover from this horrendous ordeal.”
• Children can call Childline on 0800 1111 for support and advice.