‘As soon as he saw the copper he grabbed his JD Sports bag and ran through the field’: Suspected March rapist tackled to ground by police near Chatteris
- Credit: SUBMITTED
A suspected rapist from March was tackled to the ground by police after driving his car into a field near Chatteris.
Video footage filmed by an eyewitness who was going shopping with her brother shows a man running away from his car and being chased by two officers.
The 22-year-old who was arrested on suspicion of rape as well as failing to provide a breath specimen and being in possession of a class B or C drug fled through the field with a JD Sports drawsting rucksack on his back.
The eyewitness, who did not wish to be named, said: “I was driving and saw a car go into a ditch. The driver in front stopped too.
“I went over because I thought it was an elderly man who had crashed – but it turned out to be a young man.
You may also want to watch:
“The man was sat in the car rocking backwards and forwards for 20 minutes whilst sitting in the car.
“As soon as he saw the copper he grabbed his JD Sports bag and ran through the field – but obviously didn’t get very far.”
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
After the incident the man was taken into custody at the Police Investigation Centre in King’s Lynn.
He has been released on bail until November 2.
A police spokesman said: “The chase happened at 10.20am on Saturday October 6 when a silver Audi A3 was reported to have left the road and gone into a field near Chatteris.”