March Royal British Legion looking for more members
- Credit: Archant
March Royal British Legion is hoping to encourage more people to attend their meetings so they can invite speakers to attend.
The legion held its February meeting where president, Barry Howlett gave the exhortation and two minutes silence and chairman Brian Gowler welcomed members.
Various correspondence was discussed which included the attendance of members to the RBL Riders Branch meeting next month at Chesterton.
A legion spokesman said: “The Poppy Appeal Fund is £24,348.01 which is a fantastic figure so far for the year and 1,200 parcels have been sent so far abroad to service men and women.”
Alec Larham asked for anyone who has addresses of personnel serving abroad to contact him so that the parcels could be sent to them.
An outing has been arranged to RAF Wittering and names are being taken for the coach trip although secretary, Linda Mitchell, reported that there were very few seats left and members were urged to book their seat.
Pat Case proposed to encourage more members to attend to have speakers at the meetings.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 6 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 7 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
- 10 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
Suggestions were made and a programme would be issued to members and those interested in joining.
The group heard how welfare visits have been made to ex service men while Chris Harley gave a report on his work with the War Graves Commission.
The next meeting is on Tuesday March 7 at 7.45pm hours at 27 West End March.