March Royal British Legion looking for more members
- Credit: Archant
March Royal British Legion is hoping to encourage more people to attend their meetings so they can invite speakers to attend.
The legion held its February meeting where president, Barry Howlett gave the exhortation and two minutes silence and chairman Brian Gowler welcomed members.
Various correspondence was discussed which included the attendance of members to the RBL Riders Branch meeting next month at Chesterton.
A legion spokesman said: “The Poppy Appeal Fund is £24,348.01 which is a fantastic figure so far for the year and 1,200 parcels have been sent so far abroad to service men and women.”
Alec Larham asked for anyone who has addresses of personnel serving abroad to contact him so that the parcels could be sent to them.
An outing has been arranged to RAF Wittering and names are being taken for the coach trip although secretary, Linda Mitchell, reported that there were very few seats left and members were urged to book their seat.
Pat Case proposed to encourage more members to attend to have speakers at the meetings.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 3 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 6 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 7 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 8 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 9 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 10 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
Suggestions were made and a programme would be issued to members and those interested in joining.
The group heard how welfare visits have been made to ex service men while Chris Harley gave a report on his work with the War Graves Commission.
The next meeting is on Tuesday March 7 at 7.45pm hours at 27 West End March.