March sailor Butler competing in prestigious Falmouth to Greenwich Tall Ships race
- Credit: Archant
A sailor from March is taking part in a prestigious regatta.
Jon Butler, 38, is competing in the Falmouth to Greenwich Tall Ships race, which began yesterday.
Forty six Tall Ships will race up to the Isle of Wight then sail in company to the River Thames and on to Royal Greenwich.
The former Neale-Wade pupil and Mepal Outdoor Sailing centre schoolboy trainee is acting as mate for the race in a 65ft schooner Merrilyn.
He has taken a leading role in ensuring the safety and training of the young crew members on board, all of which are from the St Maws sailing club, Cornwall.
You may also want to watch:
The council officer’s passion for sailing has taken him on sailing trips from Papa New Guiniea down to Australia, to Norway.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 10 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash