The March Society is in need of more members for it to continue after September
- Credit: Archant
The March Society is in need of more members for it to continue after the group’s next annual meeting.
Jennifer Lawler, chairman, said: "In order for The March Society to continue after the annual meeting, it must have more committee members and help to carry out much needed projects to conserve March's natural and built environment."
The plea comes after members enjoyed a summer evening stroll around the town's Market Square, Acre Road and West End.
These areas are part of the March conservation area and chairman Jennifer Lawler pointed out many of the older listed houses that have been carefully restored or are undergoing restoration. These buildings are unique assets for the town.
She said: "Work is still urgently needed to clear the old indoor market in Acre Road and bring it back to life.
You may also want to watch:
"It has long been an eyesore but sympathetic development together with the restoration of Acre Cottages would be transformational for the 'Little London' area."
A walk along West End demonstrated how some very old houses are carefully looked after by their owners - but unfortunately there still remain some glaring exceptions. Jennifer then described the varied history associated with some of the listed buildings.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
The March Society's next event on Wednesday September 11 at 7pm in March Library is the annual meeting followed by a talk by Mick Matthews about Cambridgeshire Self Sufficiency Group. For more information visit www.cambsselfsufficiencygroup.co.uk
If you are interested in becoming a member and would like more information contact The March Society via email email@example.com, visit www.themarchsociety.org.uk or on Facebook and Twitter.