March supermarket to be converted into Co-op store in �350,000 investment
A SUPERMARKET in March is being converted into a Co-operative store, securing the existing 36 jobs in a �350,000 investment.
The Somerfield store on the High Street is to transform into a Co-op, following the group’s �1.56 billion acquisition of the chain last year.
It will be closed from November 3 during the refurbishment, until the official opening on November 12 - where youngsters from Maple Grove Nursery will perform a ribbon-cutting ceremony and will receive a donation of �200 for its funds.
Store manager Les Smith said: “As a community retailer we are proud to serve our local area and this substantial investment in the store means we can now provide a much enhanced service.
“At a time when consumers are looking for both value and values in business, The Co-operative has become even more relevant and distinctive. We will meet all the community’s daily food shopping needs and, in the best traditions of The Co-operative, make our contribution to community life.”
All Somerfield branches will convert to Co-operatives by 2011.
As well as its smart new look and more spacious, shopper friendly layout, the new store is said to feature enhanced and new product ranges, with an emphasis on fresh foods.
- 1 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 7 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 8 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 9 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 10 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
The Co-operative has already introduced price reductions as well as its share of profits dividend scheme, which offers member customers cash back twice a year on their trade with Co-operative Group businesses.
Membership of The Co-operative Group, which costs just �1, offers a range of benefits including a say in how stores are run and the opportunity to support their campaigns on issues such as climate change and social inclusion.