March supermarket to be converted into Co-op store in �350,000 investment
A SUPERMARKET in March is being converted into a Co-operative store, securing the existing 36 jobs in a �350,000 investment.
The Somerfield store on the High Street is to transform into a Co-op, following the group’s �1.56 billion acquisition of the chain last year.
It will be closed from November 3 during the refurbishment, until the official opening on November 12 - where youngsters from Maple Grove Nursery will perform a ribbon-cutting ceremony and will receive a donation of �200 for its funds.
Store manager Les Smith said: “As a community retailer we are proud to serve our local area and this substantial investment in the store means we can now provide a much enhanced service.
“At a time when consumers are looking for both value and values in business, The Co-operative has become even more relevant and distinctive. We will meet all the community’s daily food shopping needs and, in the best traditions of The Co-operative, make our contribution to community life.”
You may also want to watch:
All Somerfield branches will convert to Co-operatives by 2011.
As well as its smart new look and more spacious, shopper friendly layout, the new store is said to feature enhanced and new product ranges, with an emphasis on fresh foods.
- 1 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 2 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 3 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 4 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 5 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 6 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 7 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 8 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 9 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 10 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
The Co-operative has already introduced price reductions as well as its share of profits dividend scheme, which offers member customers cash back twice a year on their trade with Co-operative Group businesses.
Membership of The Co-operative Group, which costs just �1, offers a range of benefits including a say in how stores are run and the opportunity to support their campaigns on issues such as climate change and social inclusion.