March Town United Clubman of the Year award goes to devoted Ron who cleans the changing rooms at 5am
- Credit: Archant
A supporter who never misses a March Town United home or away game, sells raffle tickets and cleans the changing rooms after every game has been named Clubman of The Year.
Ron Watts, 74, of Cedar Close, March, received the trophy from chairman Phil White before the Hares final game of the season at home to Long Melford on Saturday.
Mr Watts said: “I moved to March about eight years ago with my partner, who was born in Chatteris.
“I was working in Lidl and someone suggested I come along to a game.
“I love it. I clean the changing rooms and go around looking after the place.
“It does have its perks – I get lifts to the away games and free food in the hospitality room.
“I’m quite proud of the award. It is a nice reward for what I do.”
- 1 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 2 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Farm shop's green light for outdoor seating and play area
- 6 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 9 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 10 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
Mr White said: “Ron comes to every home and away game and does anything we ask him to do.
“He cleans up the changing rooms after every game for all the teams at the club.
“He is in at 5am the next morning, come rain or snow, to get them ready for the next game.
“What he does is amazing. He’s not a board member, just somebody who wants to help out.
“It is great to have people like him involved.”