March Town United Under-18s player allegedly suffers racist abuse at rival ground
- Credit: Archant
Police and the Norfolk FA are both investigating claims a March Town United footballer was subjected to racial abuse at an under-18s match.
A spectator at the game claims monkey noises and racist chants were directed towards Sol Orieji during March Town United under-18s’ clash at Downham Town under-18s, last Monday.
March Town United have reported the incident to Norfolk Police and the Norfolk FA, who are conducting investigations.
Hares’ vice-chairman Gerry Roe said: “March Town United Football Club have made an official complaint to Norfolk Police and the matter is now being dealt with by them.”
A Norfolk Police spokesman said: “Police can confirm they have received a report of racist abuse towards players from March Football Club during a match at Downham Town Football Club on Monday October 13.
You may also want to watch:
“Investigations are ongoing into this incident. The report was received by officers on Sunday, October 19.”
Downham Town club secretary George Dickson said: “We have a fantastic reputation as a club, one of the best in Norfolk.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
“The stand had about 40 people in it but only one person heard a racist comment. All the other people there didn’t hear anything.
“I was sat on the opposite side of the ground when this occurred.
“I spoke to the ref and other people and he assured me he heard absolutely nothing.
“I advise you to do checks on the person who made the allegations.”
In a later interview Mr Dickson said he had only been at the ground for 45 minutes - mainly to collect the gate receipts - and he left at half time and had heard nothing.
He said no other club official remained during the game but he denied categorically there had been any racist remarks.
Mr Dickson said the club was in touch with their solicitor about the claims.
Were you at the game? Did you see what happened? E-mail email@example.com