March Wimblington Road speed limit reduction proposed by Cambridgeshire County Council
- Credit: Archant
A speed limit reduction on a stretch of the Wimblington Road in March has moved a step closer.
Cambridgeshire County Council have proposed to reduce the speed limit on the stretch of road from Neale-Wade Academy going out of town, which has seen numerous casualties, from 40 to 30mph.
Dominic Iliffe, 24, and James Kiely, 27, were killed along the road in December 2011.
A consultation will be held on the speed limit restriction, which will end on March 20. If there are no major objections, it should be implemented.
Two public meetings were held on the issue, including one chaired by Cambs Times editor John Elworthy and attended by more than 60 residents.
You may also want to watch:
Derek Crosby, Cambs Police traffic management officer, had branded the proposal as “unnecessary” and “over-restrictive”.
His stance incensed Fenland District Councillors Jan French, Mayor of March Councillor Kit Owen and Deputy Mayor Councillor Rob Skoulding, who, with the backing of Wimblington Road residents, have pushed for the speed limit reduction.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
In a letter to the county council, Clive Lemmon, March Town Council clerk, said: “Under the auspices of the Localism Act, two public meetings have been held requesting such reduction. There is strong local support for this reduction.
“The speed limit reduction is being partially funded by three individual town councillors.
“An improved street lighting scheme is being planned for Wimblington Road which will be funded jointly by Cambridgeshire County Council, Fenland District Council and March Town Council.”