March woman in training for epic charity cycle ride from London to Paris
- Credit: Archant
AN ARTIST from March will cycle nearly 300 miles from London to Paris in July to raise funds for a cancer charity.
Kelly Amp will join 150 other cyclists on the epic ride in support of Macmillan Cancer Support which will start in Blackheath and finish at the foot of the Eiffel Tower.
The 33-year-old, who is looking to do a Masters in art therapy at the University of Hertfordshire later this year, is both excited and apprehensive about the challenge ahead.
She said: “This is the first time I’ve done something for charity. Most years when the weather is good I will get on the bike but attempting a ride of this distance is a monstrous challenge.
“I’ve been training in gym and when the weather improves I will get out on the road.
You may also want to watch:
“This ride will challenge me in so many ways. Getting myself physically fit will be one thing but I need to learn about fundraising as well. From start to finish I will be tested.”
Kelly hopes to raise £1,600 for the cancer charity which provides practical, medical and financial support to cancer sufferers.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
She said: “I have talked to friends who have been affected by cancer. It’s a big problem in this country,
“It affects so many people and there’s nothing to say I will not get cancer when I’m older.
“Hopefully the money I raise will fund research and advancements in fighting the disease.”
Kelly is organising a party at Club Q, in March, on February 23 to raise funds for her challenge,
Various DJ’s, including Pixie and Starburst show, Rikoshay and Nutz, Dave Moore, Hion-g, DJ Juniormassive and MC Killa will be playing for free.
The event will run from 9-2am and tickets are £3 on the door.
You can support Kelly by donating at http://www.justgiving.com/KELLY-Amps