Martha sings for Ely Cathedral
THIRTEEN year-old Martha Eddy from March will make history next Wednesday as one of the 16 members of the new Ely Cathedral Girls Choir when they sing their first Evensong in the cathedral at 5.30pm. And it will mark a choral double for the Eddy family
THIRTEEN year-old King's School Ely student Martha Eddy will make history next Wednesday as one of the 16 members of the new Ely Cathedral Girls' Choir when they sing their first Evensong in the cathedral at 5.30pm.
And it will mark a 'choral double' for the Eddy family. Martha's 17-year-old brother George, a sixth former at the King's School Ely, is a former cathedral boy chorister.
The girls, aged 13-18, are all boarding pupils in King's Senior School, and the driving force behind the establishment of the Girls' Choir has been the school's visionary Head, Sue Freestone.
Sue Freestone was appointed in 2004 as the first female Head of East Anglia's oldest independent boarding school which was founded over 1,000 years ago and boasts King Edward the Confessor as its most illustrious former pupil.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Freestone hopes the founding of the Girls' Choir will help reinforce Ely Cathedral's established reputation as a centre of musical excellence.
The school is funding the girls' choral bursaries and all associated staffing costs so there is no drain on the cathedral's resources.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 10 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
Mrs Freestone said: "It's a joy to know that, at last, young women are playing a full and active part in providing music for worship in Ely Cathedral."
* Auditions for the Girls' Choir - and for boy choristers - will be held on February 3, 2007.
More information is available from the school on 01353 660700 or email: email@example.com