Masked men use a sledgehammer to smash their way into On Par Golf Club, Ely, before making off with £1,500 worth of equipment
- Credit: Archant
Thieves stole £1,500 worth of equipment and caused £2,000 worth of damage at a golf club in Ely last night.
Two masked men used a sledgehammer to break into On Par Golf Club on Downham Road at around 7.30pm on Sunday (November 26).
After needing 60 hammer blows to break through the door, the thieves ransacked the club’s office and stole 10 GPS tracking watches, valued at around £150 each.
The club’s owner, Graham Mawe, said: “The alarm went off at 7.38pm and when we arrived the police were already here.
“We came straight to the front door and we could see they had smashed their way in. I went into the office and saw that they had gone through all the filing cabinets and initially I didn’t think anything had been taken.
“It’s only later that I realised that the 10 GPS watches I had bought had been put in one of the filing cabinets.
“We looked at the CCTV and one of the men shone their torch at the camera and it was as if they were sticking two fingers up at us.”
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 3 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 8 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
The break-in – which lasted just over two minutes – was the second at the club this year after it was targeted in February.
“The police are convinced it was the same people as the last break-in as they had a good knowledge of the club and all the entry points,” Graham added.
“They’ve caused a lot of damage but we won’t let it beat us and it’s business as usual.”
“We were called to On Par Golf Club and Driving Range just after 7.30pm to reports of a burglary.
“It looks as thought the thieves used a sledgehammer to break in and stole a number of smart watches before making off.
“We are investigating and enquiries will be on-going this week. Anyone with information is asked to call 101 or report online via www.cambs.police.uk.
“Alternatively people can contact Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.”