Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- Credit: Cambs Times reader
A man was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire badly damaged a bungalow in March on Tuesday night.
Crews from March, Chatteris, Wisbech, Whittlesey and Stanground were called to tackle the blaze in Almond Drive.
Firefighters from March and Chatteris were there within 20 minutes, said Cambs fire and rescue.
And these were followed a few minutes later by firefighters from Wisbech and Whittlesey.
Within an hour of the call six fire engines were on the scene including the turntable ladder brought in from Stanground.
A spokesperson for Cambs fire and rescue said: “Firefighters arrived to find fire in the roof space of a bungalow that had spread from a shed.
“Wearing breathing apparatus, they extinguished the fire using hose reels and jets, with the turntable ladder used to tackle the fire from above.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 2 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 3 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 8 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 9 100th birthday for Clovelly House resident
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
“One male casualty required treatment for smoke inhalation and was left in the care of ambulance crews.”
Eye witnesses say the blaze looked to have started in a wooden shed/annexe to the bungalow before spreading to the main bungalow.
“I saw the outer building alight and then saw it had spread to the main property,” said an eye witness.
The eye witness said fire fighters were seen later removing tiles from the house once the blaze was under control.
Other reports say the heat from the blaze has affected double glazed windows in a neighbouring bungalow.
One resident has spoken of having to rescue “terrified dogs” from their own nearby home and camp out in a van “whilst watching your neighbour’s home burn down”.
The neighbour said how they saw their son’s bedroom shatter because of the heat “and your own bungalow start to melt”.
She criticised those who had made light of the situation, commenting on a local Facebook forum that “glad our situation has given you all some evening entertainment”.
The Cambs fire and rescue spokesperson said the last crew left the scene by 11pm.
They have logged the fire as accidental.