Maternity nurse to the rich and famous wins prestigious Best With Babies award
- Credit: Archant
A maternity nurse who has travelled the world to care for the babies of sports stars, celebrities and even a former president has been named the inaugural winner of an industry award.
Susan Wilsher, of Wisbech, scooped the Best with Babies Award, which was established to recognise the crucial role of a maternity nurse in the lead up to and following child birth, at the Nanny Awards in Cambridge.
Mrs Wilsher has cared for more than 300 babies, including her fair share of twins and triplets, during her 27 year career.
She said: “It is every time an honour to be part of someone’s new family.”
Her most remarkable assignment has been caring for the baby of former Palestinian president Yasser Arafat, who hand-picked her for the job.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Wilsher said: “It probably doesn’t come as a surprise but they found me – he was a president.
“At the time I was working for him it was an extremely dangerous place to be with missiles being fired every day and with no electricity, water or telephone on any one day.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
“One day I decided I was really not cut out for the job and went to the president and said I have had enough, but there was no airport and the border was closed so I decided to stick it out.
“It is 25 years down the road but the children still keep in touch with me.”