Mayor Making ceremony sees new mayor for Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
WITH all the trappings of historical pomp and splendour the new Wisbech mayor was signed into office.
Councillors gathered in the town hall for the mayor making ceremony which marks the official beginning of the year in office.
Chains and robes were passed from outgoing mayor Vivien MacRae to the new town mayor Cllr Samantha Hoy.
Miss Hoy was last year’s deputy mayor.
She has James Barker as her consort.
This year’s deputy mayor is Cllr Michael Hill.
His deputy mayoress is Jane Hill.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 3 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 6 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 7 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 8 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 9 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 10 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
The Mayor’s chaplain is Father Paul West.
The ceremony took place at the town council’s annual meeting and heralds the start of a busy mayoral year for Cllr Hoy .
She is expected to attend more than 300 engagements throughout the year.
Cllr Hoy is both a town and district councillor but lost her County Council seat to UKIP in the recent elections.