Mayor of Chatteris picks council leader to be his best man at March Register Office wedding
The Mayor of Chatteris, Councillor John Chambers, married Heather Thomson at March Register Office on Saturday.
Cllr Chambers is also a member of Fenland District Council, and has recently been appointed chairman of the authority’s overview and scrutiny committee.
Duties of best man were carried out by Councillor Alan Melton, the leader of Fenland District Council.
After a reception at Chatteris Conservative Club, the couple left for a honeymoon in the Lake District and Scotland.
Cllr Chambers joined both town and district councils following the death of long serving councillor and local farmer Ray German.
You may also want to watch:
He has lived in Chatteris all his life and was brought up in Tithe Road and educated at the Cromwell School. On leaving school Cllr Chamber completed a plumbing and heating apprenticeship with D.G. Broughton until leaving to join his father and brother in the family’s building company in 1972.
In 1985 he formed the Chatteris Christmas Lights Committee with Cllr Melton and friends and he was chairman of the committee for 10 years. He is also chairman of Chatteris Conservative Club, holding the position for the past seven years.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 10 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
On retiring from the family business in 2006 Cllr Chambers John set up a small building company in which he is still actively involved.