Mayor of March calls for closure of City Road lorry park
- Credit: Archant
THE Mayor of March, Councillor Jan French, is backing a move to close the lorry park next to the City Road car park.
The town council is due to discuss the plan at their meeting on Monday.
Cllr French said this week: “We want to encourage people to shop in town, and now I believe is the time that lorries are gone.
“March is the only town in Fenland that has this facility. The car park belongs to Fenland District Council, and March Town Council is looking for views on the matter.
“Subject to the town council discussions and recommendations, we will then have to contact the district council for the outcome.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr French says the City Road lorry park is “past its sell by date”. She says the proposed closure is “not something to rush into” but the town council will start the discussion and “see where it goes.”
The Mayor has been told by police that lorries have alternative parking available in Commercial Road or Hostmoor.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
Cllr French believes that closing the lorry park will cut the number of lorries driving into March, especially along Wimblington Road, where she is supporting a campaign to reduce the speed limit.
The Mayor says car parking requirements for March need to be assessed. The Darthill Road parking, currently leased to Fenland District Council by the Blackwell family, has been extended to the end of the year.