MEET THE CANDIDATES: Roger Green (Conservative)
ROGER Green is the Conservative candidate for the Staithe Ward.
6 Ardleigh Close, Wisbech, PE13 3SW
Tel: 01945 584311
EDUCATED at Wisbech Grammar School, Roger joined the editorial staff of the Wisbech Standard in 1950 and after two years National Service as a shorthand instructor in the RAF became Sports Editor for 11 years and then Editor for 21 years.
You may also want to watch:
He has been chairman of the town council’s General Purposes and Finance Committee for the past 9 years and for 6 years was leader of the council. At Fenland he is chairman of the Planning Committee and on the Golden Age Committee which is earning national recognition for its work among the over 60’s.
Roger was founder chairman and current president of Fenland Youth Soccer League, and is patron of Fenland Branch of the Royal Society of St George. He also serves on Wisbech Chamber of Commerce Committee, Wisbech Tourism Group, Fenland Twinning Committee, Wisbech Neighbourhood Forum; Wisbech Regeneration and Development Trust, and Wisbech Environmental Liaison Group.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 8 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 9 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 10 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
In his younger days Roger gained his county colours for athletics, played football for Hereford United, Upwell Town and Wisbech Rovers. He also boxed as an amateur and enjoyed playing cricket and badminton.
Having been a director for 30 years, he still regularly supports Wisbech Town FC and is a vice-president, and for 13 years was a professional talent scout for Reading FC.