Memory-book tribute for Fenland mum who died of breast cancer
RELATIVES of a Wisbech woman who died from breast cancer are asking for memories of her life to be documented in a special book which will be given to her young son.
A memorial race night is being held at the Leverington Sports and Social Club on Friday for former Peckover School teacher Penny Slater, who died in June last year aged 30.
The ‘Celebrating Penny’ event will see family and friends encouraged to share their memories and stories in a book, which will later be given to her three-year-old son, Maxwell.
Around 1,000 people filled St Peter’s Church, in Wisbech, last year for the funeral of Mrs Slater, a much-loved wife to Liam Slater and daughter to Sheral and Spike Marriott.
Tina Jolly, Penny’s aunt, said: “The funeral director told us that in his 17 years of employment he had never before seen St Peter’s Church packed to capacity, with people also standing.
You may also want to watch:
“So many people came and we’d really like to know who they were and what link they had with Penny. We want people to contribute stories from her life and moments they shared with her.
“We’ve been absolutely blown away by how far-reaching Penny’s life was and so we would like to pass that on to her son because he is too young to know at the moment.”
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
Friday’s event, which is open to Penny’s friends and family, will also include a raffle, prize draw, silent auction and disco. All the money raised will be donated to Peckover School.
Entrance is �5 for adults and �2 for children, with family tickets priced at �10. Doors open at 7pm.