MEP Vicky Ford welcomes action on petrol price allegations
- Credit: Archant
CONSERVATIVE MEP Vicky Ford has today welcomed the launch of a major investigation into manipulation of the oil and petrol market.
Working in co-operation with Harlow MP Robert Halfon, Mrs. Ford has tabled a series of parliamentary questions in Brussels urging the European Commission to probe serious allegations of price-manipulation levelled against major oil companies.
Yesterday the Commission announced a wide-ranging investigation as officials raided the offices of leading firms including Shell and BP.
Mrs. Ford, MEP for the East of England and Conservative spokesman on industry, research and energy, said: “We have been working together to give the Commission a serious push on this issue.
“I persistently questioned them and urged them to sit up and take notice of this important issue. It is very pleasing that now they have.
You may also want to watch:
“Sometimes when you ask questions of the EU you feel as though they disappear into a black hole, but it looks as though this time the right people have listened.
“I hope the investigation now underway will be as thorough and wide-reaching as it needs to be to root out any malpractice and reassure consumers that in future they will not be cheated.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
“Motorists need be in the driving seat - not taken for a ride.”