Metalcraft apprentice on the road to Shanghai to compete in ‘skills olympics’
- Credit: Archant
An apprentice from Metalcraft in Chatteris will be jetting off to Shanghai to take part in a welding skills competition.
Harry Jackson, was invited to join the WorldSkills UK talent development programme after excelling in its national skills competitions.
He had been given a wildcard entry for the finals in Birmingham last month.
Harry will now undertake an 18-month training programme with WorldSkills UK, supported by Metalcraft.
He said: "I'm really excited to have been selected for the next stage of the competition and am looking forward to meeting the other squad members and coaches.
You may also want to watch:
"I've really enjoyed the competitions so far and will be working hard to hone my skills over the next few months to be in with a real chance of selection."
The competition takes place every two years with more than 1,000 apprentices and is known as the 'skills olympics'.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told