Minister hints at upgrade of A47 between Wisbech and Swaffham after SW Norfolk MP’s question
MP Elizabeth Truss pressed the Roads Minister this week on whether the A47 would be upgraded during Transport Questions in the House of Commons.
Ms Truss met the Minister, Mike Penning, afterwards to emphasise the importance of the A47, particularly the Wisbech to King’s Lynn and Lynn to Swaffham stretches.
She also raised her concern about the dangerous Broadend Road junction between Walsoken and Emneth.
“The A47 is a vital strategic route from east to west but in many places it is still a single carriageway,” Ms truss asked during transport Questions.
“Does the Minister agree with me that it needs to be upgraded to a national strategic route, which it was before the previous Government downgraded it?”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Penning replied: “I am very aware of the significance of this particular road. It is something we will look at and will continue to look at as we develop plans for future road improvements.”
After the meeting Ms truss, MP for SW Norfolk, said: “I am really pleased by the positive response from the Minister. He has told me that the Department for Transport is seriously examining the possibilities for the A47.
- 1 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 2 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 7 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
“I appreciate that this is going to be a long term process, however I am delighted it is on the DfT’s radar and I will continue to press them on this issue. I am also concerned by the extremely poor layout of the Broadend Road junction.
“The Highways Agency need to look at this location again as it is causing considerable concern for residents. With the local parish council, I have seen how dangerous the crossing is and I made this point to the Minster.
“He has assured me that this will be reviewed when looking at the future options for the A47.”