Miraculous escape for driver after waste lorry overturns on A142 near Chatteris
A DRIVER carrying waste to a major Cambridgeshire recycling centre had a miraculous escape today after his lorry overturned and shed its load near Chatteris.
The accident happened at 9.30am at the Block Fen roundabout between Mepal and Chatteris on the A142.
Police and emergency services were quickly on the scene and the road was temporarily closed while waste was removed.
Recovery crews were soon on the scene and began removing both the shed waste and up righting the lorry.
However rescue workers were able to keep traffic flowing as the lorry had shed its load away from the roundabout and into the access going down the Block Fen road.
A police spokesman said the lorry driver was shaken but uninjured.
The lorry belongs to AmeyCespa, the international waste company which last year bought out the Donarbon Group based at Waterbeach.
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 4 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 5 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 6 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 7 Santa's magical, mystery arrival in the Fens on a tractor
- 8 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 9 OPINION: Alliance challenges 'political point scoring' by opposition leader
- 10 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
Donarbon delivers waste services throughout Cambridgeshire, including the 28-year PFI contract with Cambridgeshire County Council to treat residents’ household waste.
Last year the company was one of a number which agreed with Cambridgeshire County Council to divert some 200 truck movements a year away from Sutton, Bluntisham and Earith. Instead drivers were told to approach the road to Block Road using the A141.
Companies involved in waste also agreed to stop using the routes through Wilburton and Haddenham.