Miraculous escape for driver after waste lorry overturns on A142 near Chatteris
A DRIVER carrying waste to a major Cambridgeshire recycling centre had a miraculous escape today after his lorry overturned and shed its load near Chatteris.
The accident happened at 9.30am at the Block Fen roundabout between Mepal and Chatteris on the A142.
Police and emergency services were quickly on the scene and the road was temporarily closed while waste was removed.
Recovery crews were soon on the scene and began removing both the shed waste and up righting the lorry.
However rescue workers were able to keep traffic flowing as the lorry had shed its load away from the roundabout and into the access going down the Block Fen road.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said the lorry driver was shaken but uninjured.
The lorry belongs to AmeyCespa, the international waste company which last year bought out the Donarbon Group based at Waterbeach.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 6 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 7 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 8 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 9 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 10 Alleged paedophile released on bail
Donarbon delivers waste services throughout Cambridgeshire, including the 28-year PFI contract with Cambridgeshire County Council to treat residents’ household waste.
Last year the company was one of a number which agreed with Cambridgeshire County Council to divert some 200 truck movements a year away from Sutton, Bluntisham and Earith. Instead drivers were told to approach the road to Block Road using the A141.
Companies involved in waste also agreed to stop using the routes through Wilburton and Haddenham.