‘Keep your eyes open for my dinner plate size terrapin’: Doddington woman on the hunt for her missing terrapin that’s been gone for three months
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Doddington is on the hunt for her “dinner plate size” pet terrapin that went missing from her home around three months ago.
Annie Kristiansen of Dykemoor Drove says her beloved pet could be in the River Nene or the Forty Foot Drain by now and is appealing to fishermen and boaters.
Ms Kristiansen, who’s been keeping the animals for 15 years, has two terrapins and they are both good friends. She says the remaining one is missing its pond companion.
She said: “This isn’t the first time she has escaped. She went away last year but returned after just a couple of days. The females go away to lay their eggs.
“When I originally built the pond it was like Fort Knox but now it’s easier for them to just roam around. They never usually leave the garden.”
The concerned terrapin owner says if her pet is still alive she may be hiding in a ditch and is calling for dog walkers to be vigilant.
She added: “You’ll know when a terrapin is around because you’ll hear a big plop sound. If you waggle your fingers in the water she will swim over to you.
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 3 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 8 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
“She will not bit you and can easily be picked up. So if you spot her or hear any big plop sounds please call me as soon as possible.”
If you think you’ve spotted Annie’s pet terrapin, call 01354 677010. She said: “She means the world to me and her friend is missing her.”