Council removes anti-Semitic graffiti in Ely
- Credit: Submitted by Ely Standard reader
East Cambridgeshire District Council says it is removing the offensive graffiti which is appearing around the city as soon as it can.
It is also working with police on the matter, and urges residents to continue reporting any other markings they come across.
A statement tweeted from the council said: “Unfortunately, we are receiving reports this week of more incidents of offensive graffiti in the city centre.
“We would like to reassure residents that we are removing offensive graffiti as soon as we can and are working with the police to tackle this matter.”
The council added: “We would like to thank residents for reporting their findings to the council and encourage you to continue to do so.”
You may also want to watch:
Last week, similar anti-Semitic graffiti emerged in Broad Street and the markings were swiftly removed.
The latest graffiti appeared in West Fen Road and the police are aware.
- 1 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 2 Two appear in court for murder after victim dies from 2006 assault
- 3 Dogs 'whining and crying' claims kennels objector
- 4 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 5 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 6 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres
- 7 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 8 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 9 NHS doctor ‘banned from describing himself as ‘Dr’ on ballot paper’
- 10 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
A police spokesperson added: "Hate crimes have no place in Cambridgeshire and we will not tolerate anyone who thinks it is acceptable to cause this kind of upset and damage to members of our community."
When the above picture was posted on social media, another resident commented the same anti-Semitic graffiti was also appearing around the riverside and at bridges.
Incidents can be reported on the East Cambridgeshire District Council website or with police using the crime reference number 35/19777/21.