More jobs promised for March as Weatherspoon win approval to convert office block to 12 bedroom hotel
- Credit: Archant
Extra jobs are promised by Wetherspoon who have won permission to convert the former Middle Level Commissioners office to a hotel.
Fenland District Council approved Wetherspoon’s application for the Dartford Road, March, building which will see it become a 12 bedroom hotel.
They also approved an application to extend the pub beer garden and build a barbecue area.
Wetherspoon has owned the next door Hippodrome since 2011 and say the hotel extension will be a boost for the
A company spokesman said: “JD Wetherspoon intends to invest a significant sum of money into the refurbishment project which would bring new confidence to the area and establish a new hotel within the town centre assisting the regeneration of March.
“Daytime activity will be increased whilst the evening economy would be improved. Furthermore, a significant number of new jobs will be created, employing locally recruited staff.”
One resident objected citing noise and litter concerns but the council says it is satisfied a wall around the beer garden will address these issues.
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 3 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 4 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 5 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 6 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 7 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 8 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 9 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 10 Voi trial ‘confuses people’ about illegal e-scooters
Officers also said the lack of on-site parking will be alleviated by the building’s town centre location, which provides it with good access to public transport.