Mother and son forced to flee Fenland home after tumble dryer catches fire
A MOTHER and her teenage son were forced to flee their home after they realised their tumble dryer was on fire.
The pair escaped the blaze at the house in Station Road, Whittlesey, at around 9.40am yesterday. They dialled 999 when they saw flames coming out of the machine.
One crew from Whittlesey and one crew from Stanground arrived and entered the house wearing breathing apparatus. They discovered the tumble dryer on fire in the kitchen which they extinguished using one house reel.
The tumble dryer and kitchen cupboard were fire damaged and the rest of the ground floor received smoke damage.
The cause of the fire was accidental and is thought to have started in the machine’s electrics.
You may also want to watch:
Jamie Johnson, crew manager at Whittlesey fire station, said: “It was extremely lucky that the woman was downstairs when the fire occurred as there were no working smoke alarms in the home.
“If this fire had occurred at night or when the home was empty the fire would have spread significantly before anyone noticed.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 8 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 9 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 10 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
“We would urge all residents to make sure that they have a working smoke alarm and to check it once a week.”
Crews returned to their stations by 10.35am.