Motocross track owners appeal Mepal planning refusal- grounds to be made public before Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Motocross track owners are appealing a decision by Fenland District Council to stop them using a piece of land for more than 28 days a year.
Track owner Martin Wright said he plans to make the grounds of his appeal public within the next week.
He said: “We will appeal Fenland’s decision to refuse the application on noise grounds only.
“We are happy that the council agree that the application meets the National Planning Policy Framework on all other points and that the Fenland officer removed ecology reason for refusal.
“We have been advised by a leading noise consultant, who has looked at the councils independent report, who agrees the use would not have a significant adverse effect on local amenity.
You may also want to watch:
“A computer model FDC rely on has been proven to be wrong when tested against other operating Motorsport venues.”
Fenland planners refused permission during a meeting on Wednesday (10) saying it would cause too much “noise disturbance” on a piece of land that should be set aside for nature conservation.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Track owners F-15MX have temporary permission to run motocross 28 days a year but applied to make the business a permanent fixture by running the track for up to 48 days at weekends and also every Wednesday from October to March.
Mr Wright also wanted to update the site with facilities like toilets, marshalling boxes, site cabin and storage containers.
A report prepared for the planning committee at FDC, said: “It is considered that the increased use of the site and its associated activity from its current operation of 28 days per year for motocross meetings to a substantially more intensive use for the same, would cumulatively result in an unacceptable level of disturbance to the detriment of the amenities of local residents.”
There was not enough detail given to show the track would not affect nature within the country wildlife site, the report added.
MP Stephen Barclay, who has joined local residents to oppose the scheme, said motocross was an important and valued sport but in the right location.
He said residents had been promised that once extraction was completed the land would be restored for leisure use.
“Residents who feared noise blight every weekend throughout the summer, will I’m sure, be relived that the promise given to them to restore Mepal pits will now be honoured,” he said.