Motorists urged to plan their journey ahead of the Tour of Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
Road users are being urged to plan their journey ahead of the Tour of Cambridgeshire cycle race due to take place this weekend (6 June).
The long distance race, known as a gran fondo, is taking place around Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, and will comprise of a 17-mile time trial on Saturday (6 June), with a 81-mile gran fondo on Sunday (7 June), starting and finishing at the East of England Showground in Peterborough.
The time trial is part of the UCI’s World Cycling Tour (UWCT), one of 15 qualifier events that will see the top 25 per cent of finishers qualifying to take part on the amateur world championships in Denmark.
The route will have consequences for city and town communities in the region. The major roads in the East region will be busier than normal at the weekend, with high numbers of additional travelling spectators and diverted commuter and commercial traffic.
Highways England Emergency Planning Manager for the East of England, Nigel Allsopp, said: “We’re reminding road users to plan ahead for the Tour of Cambridgeshire. While there is minimal impact on our major roads in the region, drivers should be aware that on the Sunday (7 June) the A15 at junction 16 of the A1M will be closed from 1pm to 8pm. This means there will be no access to Peterborough from this junction on that day.
You may also want to watch:
“Our aim is to keep the Highways England network running whilst keeping road users safe and informed. There may be a need for further closures on the day to prevent traffic from stacking on the county roads but we will closely monitor this situation.
“I’d urge spectators to choose in advance where you want to watch the race from and plan your journey. Check our traffic and travel information channels, set off early and allow plenty of time.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
There is one planned closure on the Highways England network which will take place from 1pm on Sunday June 7:
• A15 junction 16 of the A1M will be closed from 1pm to 8pm, there will be no access to Peterborough from this junction on the Sunday.
Highways England provides live traffic information via its website www.highways.gov.uk/traffic, iPhone app, local radio travel bulletins and electronic road signs. Travel information is also available by phone from the Highways England Customer Contact Centre on 0300 123 5000 and updates will be provided via Twitter. More information on local road closures can be found on your local council website or at http://www.tourofcambridgeshire.com/Road_Closures.php