MP backing parents over vote day closure
PARENTS who complained because a school will close for the day for council by-elections have won support from MP Malcolm Moss. He agreed it is inappropriate to take children out of school when there must be alternatives available . The North-East Cambrid
PARENTS who complained because a school will close for the day for council by-elections have won support from MP Malcolm Moss.
He agreed "it is inappropriate to take children out of school when there must be alternatives available".
The North-East Cambridgeshire MP has promised parents to take up their complaint with Fenland District Council.
Parents had complained over the planned closure of Kingsfield Primary School, Chatteris, on July 13 for two town council by-elections and for a vacancy on Fenland District Council.
You may also want to watch:
Teresa Watts, electoral services manager for Fenland, said the council had no alternative "since that's the only building we have in the ward".
Mr Moss said he had received an e-mail from parents claiming that if they took their children out of school for a holiday during term they would be faced with prosecution, yet the council could do what it liked.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 8 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 9 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 10 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
One was a working mother faced with finding child care cover for the day.
Terry Brownbill, spokesman for Fenland Council, said it was the school's decision to close for the day. The council simply asked to use part of the building for the election.