MP Barclay raising awareness of the tireless work of Cambridgeshire’s carers
- Credit: Archant
MP Steve Barclay has given his backing to a national campaign which highlights the vital work of the UK’s 6.5 million carers.
The North East Cambs MP has joined forces with UK Care charities to promote Carers Week, which runs from June 10-16.
The campaign will highlight how the UK’s current carer population is coping, how effectively government is supporting the growing numbers of carers and whether the wider population is prepared for future caring responsibilities.
Mr Barclay wrote last month to local head teachers to highlight the plight of young carers who often see their schooling affected.
He said: “Every day across Cambridgeshire, 60,176 people will care for a loved one in some form. This hidden group, which is equivalent to one in every eight people give up their time, sometimes their jobs and often make life changing sacrifices for someone.
You may also want to watch:
“Carers save this country an incredible £119 billion every year. That’s why I believe as a society we must share in the values underlined by the campaign.”
As part of Carers Week, a number of events will be held in and around Cambridgeshire to help carers access support and advice.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 9 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
People can find out more at www.carersweek.org.