MP Steve Barclay “honoured” by promotion following election win
- Credit: Archant
North East Cambs MP Steve Barclay has been promoted following his victory in last week’s election.
Mr Barclay, who extended his majority in the election, has been appointed a Minister in the role of a Government Whip.
He will be among those responsible for Commons business, with specific responsibilities relating to the Department of Business and Scotland.
With the arrival of 56 SNP MPs this is likely to put him at the centre of parliamentary debate on the future of the UK.
Mr Barclay said: “It is a great honour to be asked to join the Government. The Whips Office play a key role in Parliament, and even more so when the Government has a very small majority.
You may also want to watch:
“It will be a steep learning curve but fascinating to be at the heart of discussions and government policy in the Commons.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 9 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend