MPs quiz Highways England over A47 upgrade with Guyhirn roundabout and Broadend Road junction as part of discussions
- Credit: Archant
The issue of the upgrade of the Guyhirn roundabout over the Broadend Road junction on the A47 was raised at a meeting between MPs and Highways England this week
MPs from across the region quizzed Highways England on progress on the upgrade of the A47 at Thursday’s meeting.
Elizabeth Truss MP for South West Norfolk, who was one of six MPs at Thursday’s meeting said: “I am keen to ensure that Highways England is planning for the long term so the A47 is future proofed for further upgrades.
“Along with my fellow MPs, we want the A47 fully dualled and I have asked Highways England to present the economic case for this. The £300 million investment announced in December 2014 is a fantastic boost for the area and will certainly help to ease the pressure on the route but I am keen to ensure there are no unnecessary delays in getting the work started.
“I also believe that consideration needs to be given for housing along the road and Broadend Road junction in my South West Norfolk constituency is certainly a cross roads that needs further upgrades due to the considerable safety concerns there.
You may also want to watch:
“Highways England want to see a reduction in accidents of 40 percent; I have therefore asked the Highways team as to why preference was given to upgrading the Guyhirn roundabout and not Broadend Road. This was also discussed at the meeting I held with local residents in Walsoken earlier this month and I am keen to have more information on this.”
The A47 improvement corridor is at the heart of the biggest road improvement scheme in the last 40 years and MPs are keen to see the work started as soon as possible.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
Attending the meeting held in the House of Commons was Ms Truss, Peter Aldous MP, Chloe Smith MP, Richard Bacon MP, Henry Bellingham MP, Brandon Lewis MP, Stewart Jackson MP, Wole Adetola Project Manager for Highways England and Andy Heap Programme Manager Amey.
In 2013 the A47 was one of six schemes to be included in the Strategic Road Network improvement programme. Originally the A47 was not on the list but after sustained lobbying by MPs, the Department for Transport added it to the final six.