‘Legendary and much-loved’ Maurice Short aka ‘Mr Manea’ has died aged 93
- Credit: Family/Archives
Maurice Short, who was dubbed “Manea’s unsung hero”, has died aged 93, his family have announced.
Well known locally for his work and volunteering with Manea football club as a groundsman, Mr Short passed away on Wednesday, February 5.
Mr Short's nephew, Stephen, shared photographs and memories of his uncle's long life on a local Facebook group, attracting more than 100 comments.
Stephen said: "Not a normal post for our Manea Memories page but I thought the news was important to our village of Manea.
"It is with a heavy heart and much sadness, that I report to all our family friends and past and present inhabitants of Manea, that early this morning the legendary and much loved Manea's un-sung hero Mr Maurice Short passed away 93 years young.
You may also want to watch:
"Maurice will be remembered for many, many things, for many many years. R.I.P Uncle Maurice. February 25 1926 to February 5 2020."
One friend said: "Condolences to all the family. The word legend is not really big enough to describe this great man who supported all of us through our footballing careers.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
"The first man at every game and last to leave. He will be sadly missed. RIP Maurice!"
Another added: "A very charming and helpful man. He could tell you most things about Manea.
"Our thoughts are with all his family and may he rest in peace. A young man who will be sorely missed by many."