My father is first member of Hill family to be buried in Fenland village since start of last century
MY father Geoffrey Rowland Hill’s great grandfather was the first Rector of Wimblington.
The Rev Joseph Hill built the Rectory in Wimblington, which is now Eastwood Hall. Rev Hill’s son, the Rev Robert Bertram Hill, took over from his father as the second Rector of St Peter’s.
Rev Robert Hill and his brother, Brigadier General Felix Frederick Hill (born at Old Weston near Huntingdon), married two sisters Lucy Emily Askew and Edith Leonie Askew respectively (I believe your paper carried a story about the event at the time).
Rev Robert’s eldest son was my grandfather Douglas Bertram Hill and his son, my father, was born at the Rectory on May 23 1921.
On May 23 2011, as he desired, he returned to the Hill family plot. He was the first member of the family to be buried in Wimblington since the beginning of the last century.
You may also want to watch:
I thought you might find this interesting.
- 1 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 2 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 3 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 4 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 5 Man dies in A11 ditch crash
- 6 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 7 Mum overwhelmed by support for 'angel gowns' project
- 8 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 9 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 10 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault