My father is first member of Hill family to be buried in Fenland village since start of last century
MY father Geoffrey Rowland Hill’s great grandfather was the first Rector of Wimblington.
The Rev Joseph Hill built the Rectory in Wimblington, which is now Eastwood Hall. Rev Hill’s son, the Rev Robert Bertram Hill, took over from his father as the second Rector of St Peter’s.
Rev Robert Hill and his brother, Brigadier General Felix Frederick Hill (born at Old Weston near Huntingdon), married two sisters Lucy Emily Askew and Edith Leonie Askew respectively (I believe your paper carried a story about the event at the time).
Rev Robert’s eldest son was my grandfather Douglas Bertram Hill and his son, my father, was born at the Rectory on May 23 1921.
On May 23 2011, as he desired, he returned to the Hill family plot. He was the first member of the family to be buried in Wimblington since the beginning of the last century.
I thought you might find this interesting.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 3 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 4 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 5 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 6 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
- 9 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
- 10 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal