Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- Credit: Facebook/Policing Fenland
Mysterious sinkholes appeared across a Fenland town amid a scorching hot weekend, with blistering temperatures warmer than Ibiza.
Two large holes were reported within minutes of each other on different roads in Wisbech on Sunday (June 13), leaving police officers baffled.
“I don’t know what is going on today,” said a spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police after being called out to the second hole of the day.
The first was discovered on Ramnoth Road, forcing officers to close the road while they worked to ensure the safety of motorists and pedestrians.
The second, slightly larger, hole was found on Blackfriars Road, right outside Empire Theatre, sparking a warning from Fen Cops to “avoid the area”.
You may also want to watch:
“Officers are looking into it,” joked Cambridgeshire Police. “On a serious note, Highways have been called,” they confirmed.
A resident said: “All this hot weather has contracted the moist fenland ground. All we need is a bit of a downpour and it'll be areet (sic).”
- 1 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 4 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 7 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 8 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 9 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 10 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement