Near miss for Greens in Euro elections
The Green Party Euro lead candidate in the east, Dr Rupert Read, was once again runner-up when the election results came in.
However, the Greens overtook coalition partners the Lib-Dems, whose vote collapsed.
Dr Read said: “I want to thank every single person who voted Green on May 22. You have contributed to a movement that is growing, and will only continue to grow.
Green is the future, if there is to be a future at all.
“It is terrifying that a Party whose basis is victim-blaming and which denies the very reality of dangerous human-influenced climate chaos has done so well at these elections.
You may also want to watch:
“I blame the tiny handful of multi- millionaires who bankroll that party, and the national media for giving them bucket loads of coverage while ignoring the rise in the Green Party vote.
“I hope that once people realise what that party actually stands for they will turn away from it in disgust, and turn to the Green Party, which offers a positive alternative to the old, failed parties.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
DR RUPERT READ
Green party Euro candidate for the eastern region