Near miss for Greens in Euro elections
The Green Party Euro lead candidate in the east, Dr Rupert Read, was once again runner-up when the election results came in.
However, the Greens overtook coalition partners the Lib-Dems, whose vote collapsed.
Dr Read said: “I want to thank every single person who voted Green on May 22. You have contributed to a movement that is growing, and will only continue to grow.
Green is the future, if there is to be a future at all.
“It is terrifying that a Party whose basis is victim-blaming and which denies the very reality of dangerous human-influenced climate chaos has done so well at these elections.
“I blame the tiny handful of multi- millionaires who bankroll that party, and the national media for giving them bucket loads of coverage while ignoring the rise in the Green Party vote.
“I hope that once people realise what that party actually stands for they will turn away from it in disgust, and turn to the Green Party, which offers a positive alternative to the old, failed parties.”
- 1 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 2 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 9 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 10 ‘It’s been a very special day’ - Mary marks 100th birthday
DR RUPERT READ
Green party Euro candidate for the eastern region