Nearly 100 train lovers gather at March train station to witness steam train passing through
NEARLY 100 train fanatics got a thrill early on Saturday morning when an 80-year-old steam locomotive passed through March train station.
The 60009 Union of South Africa steam train’s appearance at 7.45am was the highlight of an event organised by the Friends of March Railway Station to raise funds for the renovation of the train station.
Adrian Sutterby, who is a member of The Friends of March Train Station, said: “We are trying to improve the disused side of the station and we hope eventually to be able to use one of the rooms as a meeting room for all the community to enjoy.”
The train, which was on its way from Cambridge to York, stopped at the station so people of all ages could admire it.
While steam train citings usually take place four or five times a year, the 60009 model had not passed through March for several years.
You may also want to watch:
Coffee and mince pies were also served in the morning and a model railway was on display.
- 1 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 9 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 10 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4